If you wish to use candles for a spiritual or other ceremony please contact directors (at) dte.org.au beforehand to discuss your idea as there are permits to apply for and comply with.
Please be conscious and aware around fire, and be sure that those around you are using it responsibly, your safety depends as much on their actions as it does on yours.
ConFest has the equipment and systems in place to respond to fires.
Attempt to put it out only if it is safe to do so and send someone to report the fire and location to a volunteer or to the information area. If the fire is beyond your ability to put out safely please evacuate yourself and all others from the area and report to the volunteers at Information.
ConFest must adhere to local Fire Restrictions and Total Fire Ban days, this includes local area and site specific restrictions.
Failure to comply with fire restrictions at ConFest can result in police involvement, the offenders' removal from site, and possible future ban from ConFest.
Both the local Fire Authorities and ConFest volunteers do regular fire inspections and patrols of ConFest.
Please use the communal kitchen spaces provided, they are usually equipped with gas burners, barbecues, some shade, rough but adequate plumbing and tables, if you still choose to use your own camp cookers please do so in the communal kitchens, or on the sanded area around it.
Gas cookers, fuel stoves and other gas appliances, including appliances fitted in vehicles and caravans, may only be used within the designated cooking/fire circles.
RFS has advised that many gas bottles or cylinders in the Australian community have not been correctly and properly safety tested and may pose a serious risk if used. Please not bring any gas cylinders onto the ConFest site that have not been inspected and tested in accordance with Australian Standards.
Please check to ensure that -
* the last test date stamp on the cylinder safety plate or safety tag is less than 10 years ago;
* and that all fittings, valves and hoses are correctly attached and do not show signs of damage or wear;
If in doubt please consult your gas supplier for more information.
Please only light wood fires in the halved 44 gallon drums in the prepared and sanded areas around site. Do not light a fire on the ground or in a pit anywhere, Fires on the property have been known to go underground, smoldering in old root systems and emerging weeks later.
One of the main reasons for the strict conditions on fire at ConFest
can be summed up quite simply and effectively by the following
from 'Obie' a ConFest First aid Co-ordinator:
"I am so happy that fire is limited at ConFest. I saw the look on peoples faces when their tent and all their gear was burnt to nothing by a candle.
I still remember the screaming of each of the little children that I treated in First Aid for burnt feet, hands or legs from campfires that weren't extinguished properly, that is "blacked out".
If you had heard the screaming of the toddler who fell face first into a campfire you would not question the need to strictly limit the use of fire at ConFest."
Fire can however be both useful and beautiful at ConFest...
All ConFesters share a responsibility for a safe gathering and there are things we can do to make sure that fire at ConFest is useful and beautiful and above all, safe.
Smokers, please dispose of your butts responsibly, there have been many cases of a fire springing up some time after a butt was thought to be fully extinguished.
Fire Emergency and Evacuation
- In the event of a fire emergency please firstly attend to the safety of you and the people around you making sure that all are aware of the fire.
- Attempt to put it out only if it is safe to do so and please send someone to report the fire to a volunteer, the Information Tent, Fire Safety, First Aid or any active volunteer space available.
- If the fire is beyond your ability to put out safely please evacuate yourself and all others from the area immediately and report the fire to the volunteers at the the Information Tent, Fire Safety, First Aid or any active volunteer space available.
- If evacuation is required, the emergency assembly area will be marked on the event site map. Remember to stay calm and follow the guidance of any fire safety crew around.