The MRT team consists of qualified health care professionals and is equipped to respond to any emergency and organise transport to hospital if required. The team carries emergency supplies, resuscitation equipment and limited emergency drugs. We are happy to provide advice on managing any medical/first aid matter.
How to find us? First Aid is located in 'The Hub' space on the map, on the Info Tent side of The Hub. Look for the three shipping container structure with roofs over the top.
First Aid need you! All First Aid Medics, Nurses and Doctors at ConFest are volunteers. First Aid is supervised by lead medics who have current first aid qualifications with assistance from doctors and nurses. If you have current first aid or medical qualifications please talk to one of our staff as we would love to welcome new team members.
Your ticket price includes two hours of volunteer time. If you have First Aid related qualifications, we would love you to assist during operating hours, so consider volunteering your 2 hours at first aid. No experience needed, just a minimum of a First Aid certificate. Just turn up at First Aid where there is a daily list of times, choose a time and day that suits you and write your name in the box.
Bring all your own medical and basic first aid supplies. If you take regular medications bring more than enough for the gathering, if you use an inhaler bring a spare! Yes we can treat an asthma attack but no we won’t provide you with a new puffer if you run out.
Be aware that the nearest chemist is a substantial drive and will likely be closed for much of the gathering. If you don’t have a concession card or health insurance we would suggest obtaining ambulance membership as the costs of these services can be substantial especially in a rural setting and will be the responsibility of the individual, should the need arise.
- Bandaids (packet of various size/shape)
- Crepe bandages x2 (15cm for snakebite kit)
- Absorbent dressing x2 (sanitary pads work well for this)
- Sunscreen/ Insect repellent Savlon ointment (or similar)
- Savlon/Detol or similar (small bottle)
- Fine tweezers & small scissors
- Sanitary products
- Antihistamine if you react to insect bites/dust/smoke etc
- All of your medications/inhalers
- Anything you think you might need
Common Minor Medical Problems Experienced at the Gathering
- Insect bites and sun/wind burn, chapped lips
- Cuts, scratches, prickles (please where appropriate footwear at ConFest)
- Sprains and strains
- Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoea UTI’s, Thrush, Menstural pain, headaches, hangovers
Please refer all but very small superficial burns to first aid or medical response team outside first aid operating hours.
- Immerse burns in cool water (Not ice) for 20 minutes
- Call or send for help (Radio or first aid tent)
- Cover with a wet clean cloth after 20 min
- NO Creams, NO Oils NO Ointments are to be put on burns
There is an increased number of snake sightings this year. As always, be careful and do not antagonise any snakes encountered.
Snake bite first aid is simple!
- Keep the person still and calm
- Call or send for help (Radio or first aid)
- DON’T – wash, suck, cut the wound, just mark its position if you can
- Bandage the site firmly and splint the limb
- Stay where you are and wait for the medical response team to come to you.
Snake bite kit is simply 2 x 15cm crepe bandages for adults or (or smaller if you have them for kids).
Do not buy snakebite kits as seen on eBay etc that have suckers as these do not work and may cause more harm.